[RE-wrenches] panel back tedlar flaking off

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 18 20:52:52 PDT 2009

The tedlar backsheet is laminated with heat and vacuum to protect the back ethylene vinyl acetate encapsulant. The eva is hydroscopic and moisture will eventually get in to attack the cell interconnects, bus bars, cell grids, and solder. It's only a matter of time before the module dies. You could try carefully painting the back of the laminate with a flexible waterproof paint, but make sure the eva is clean and very dry so you do not capture any contaminants or moisture under the waterproofing.