[RE-wrenches] A Wrench's computer

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 10:56:14 PDT 2009

I also segued to a mac last fall and installed VMWare to bridge the PC experience. Overall, I would recommend the transition.
There is also incentive, if you live in a metro area- to get training at the Apple store- it is $100 for the year and if you can carve out time, you can take 1 lesson a week on a host of topics to get up to speed rather quickly.

I believe in the next 5 years, we will be agnostic on platforms, and we will be primarily web based, as we want everything on the go. It (wireless) will be inexpensive and ubiquitous in larger populaces and my vision for larger mesh networks will cover all of us to connect more readily. It is amazing, Get Smart's shoe phone to where we are today is extraordinary and the innovation will only accelerate..............................
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

Back to the mac- very robust machine architecture and relatively simple to use and setup anything from wireless networking to installing a printer. Their time machine feature also deserves mentioning- it does incremental backups- meaning, it will take, like a video of your activities and save the activities as they occur. So, if you are working on a proposal, and doing alot of revisions, it will archive them on a time line. If you ever wonder what you where working on, lets say Monday, you can go back in time, and find it. Very slick, as PC's, I believe, don't have this functionality to date.

Lastly, on the backup and if you still have a PC- I would highly suggest subscribing to www.mozy.com for your laptop and office server. Same theorem as above- incremental backups, when you are not working on your machine- to the web. I did this a few months ago- have almost 100GB of data archived there. Did take alot of time (weeks) to upload, but it is all there, in a directory to grab anything when I need it. Lets face it, when we do backups, like at the office, we take either some DVD's or a hard drive, back and forth every week. This eliminates this completely. Also, I found a coupon code for their service- type in the word NEXT into the box before you subscribe and it is $46 a year to back up everything for one machine. The office/server flavored subscription is alot more, but this also frees up your time to focus on your business.

Another great wrench tool list addition!