[RE-wrenches] Enphase Application

Marv Dargatz mdargatz at enphaseenergy.com
Thu Apr 9 08:41:11 PDT 2009

A GFDI fault requires an EMU (Envoy) to clear the fault.  Or the
inverter must be replaced.  There is sound reasoning behind this:

1.  UL1741 requires the GFDI to "provide an indication of the fault".
It does not stipulate how to indicate, or where to indicate.

2.  Further, the requirement states that the GFDI "shall not be capable
of automatic reclosure".  This means some form of human interaction is
required to clear the fault indication to allow the inverter to restart.

3.  The inverters are mounted under the module, often up on a roof and
inconvenient to gain access to.

While some indication of the fault at the inverter can be helpful in
verifying the "culprit", it is impractical to rely solely on a rooftop
annunciation.  Who wants to crawl around on a roof looking under modules
to see an LED or listen for a buzzer?  Because the EMU and inverters
talk to each other via powerline communications, it becomes practical to
also annunciate the fault thru the EMU (Envoy).

Once you know there is a fault, you know the serial number of the
offending unit, and you know the location on the roof (because you were
so diligent at filling out the install map!), it is relatively easy to
find the actual fault.

Two brief comments on GFDI:

1.  Micro deployments see far fewer GFDIs than string installations.
The DC wiring is localized at each module and is not strung across the
roof.  Far fewer opportunities for pinched wire and compromised insulation.

2.  If there is a GFDI, its' precise location is identified.  You do not
need to search thru a string (or strings) of 10 or 12 modules to find
the problem.

Clearing the fault from the Envoy is a simple matter of "checking a
check box" on the Envoy webpage interface.  Certainly easier than
climbing up on a roof and fumbling around for a button or a switch.  A
button or a switch, by the way, costs money and is a point of failure.
We are striving to minimize both.

So, for full functionality an Envoy is required.  By the way, it's also
required to get the California rebate, as it is the only means of
displaying 5% metering information as required by the CSI program.  And
yes, you probably want to have a laptop computer with you on the job site.

All other faults (over/under voltage/frequency, anti-islanding, etc.)
are automatically reset.  The Envoy and the Enlighten Web application
allows you to see all faults, but only the GFDI requires human
intervention to reset.

Any other questions, just drop me a line.  Or call our excellent
Customer Support folks at 877 797-4743.

See Ya!

Marv
Enphase Energy