[RE-wrenches] Enphase Application

Marv Dargatz mdargatz at enphaseenergy.com
Tue Apr 7 17:31:35 PDT 2009

Travis,

You are exactly right.  As long as you do not exceed the max open
circuit voltage or short circuit current rating you're perfectly fine.
Even if you put 300W of module on the inverter, it will just hit power
limit until the irradiance declines enough to let the MPPT work again.
No problem.  No damage to the module or the inverter.  The "smoke
threshold" voltage is many volts above our stated maximum input voltage.
  Of course, it probably doesn't make economic sense to waste that much
glass.

In your case, two Kyoceras in series will work just fine.  Depending on
the age of the modules, soiling, etc., you'll probably have less than
240W peak.  I'd guess you will seldom see the inverters hit power limit.

This configuration will have no impact on MTBF or reliability.

Do be aware that if you shade one of the two modules, you'll limit the
output of both modules in the series string.  No worse than a standard
string inverter.

We chose a Tyco CPC connector for cost, reliability, and environmental
reasons.  If you can find a connector that meets the demanding NEMA6
requirements at a better price, please let me know.  We're constantly
looking for ways to reduce product cost without degrading reliability.

Hope this helps.

See Ya!

Marv
Enphase Energy