[RE-wrenches] Enphase Application

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Mon Apr 6 17:51:46 PDT 2009

Greetings Wrenches,

I have customer with a three module array made up of 120 watt Kyocera's that
charge the battery bank underutilized of “hobby system”.

It spends most time in float plus were adding a 5.5 kW direct grid tied
array that require us to move the existing array so the customer is
interested in putting an EnPhase inverter on two of the Kyocera 120’s.

I’ve looked over the EnPhase specs and don’t see a reason why I can’t wire
two KC120’s in series and feed the EnPhase with them.  I do see them listing
it’s compatibility of up 225 watt modules but am having a hard time getting
much further.  I didn’t find a max input wattage so what happens if I put
240 watts to the EnPhase?  Does the magic smoke come out on day one or does
MTBF drop from 32,895 years to 80 years?

Even is the EnPhase's max output is 200 watts it's still more kWh/day then
the hobby system that spending most of it's time in float.  I can see no
difference between one 72 cell module and two 36 cell module in series.

Also it looks like there is unique connector coming off the AC side of the
module.  How do I deal with that?

Best and thanks in advance!
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services