[RE-wrenches] Trace SW Stacking Cable?

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Mar 31 21:51:28 PDT 2009

Carl:

I have checked with Xantrex.  I would not make a declaration on the
Wrenches forum to my esteemed colleagues unless I was quite certain.  Find
the "SWI Stacking Cable wiring diagram" on our web site
at:  http://millersolar.com/resources/resources.html under "Manufacturer's
data".  This diagram came directly from a Xantrex engineer.  I have no
reason to doubt it's authenticity. This is not the pin out for a "standard"
DB25 cable.  Not also the link just below it for "Not an SWI cable"  This
is your "standard" cable.  I fished this out of my attic this evening and
scanned it still in the package.  Note it is listed as a "straight through"
cable.  This means pin 1 connects to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc.  This is
not the same wiring as depicted in the SWI stacking cable diagram.

I believe you have suggested twice that solar installers grab the nearest
"standard" DB25 cable and give it a try.  I feel compelled to correct the
record publicly.  These are not the same cables and unspecified damage
could occur.  I know I once shorted out a sync cable for Heart Interface
inverters and blew two of them up catastrophically two days before
Christmas.  It was a very unpleasant surprise for the client (who had
guests coming) and for my self.  These cables are a direct link to the FET
control circuits and need to be treated with the utmost caution.

I don't know what would happen to two SW inverters if connected with your
straight through cable, but I recommend strongly against trying it.  Please
do not recommend practices unless you are quite certain they will cause no
harm.

Respectfully,

William Miller

PS:  Printer cables were never DB25-DB25.  They were DB25 to Centronics.

Wm