[RE-wrenches] Mixing and Matching PV modules--Error Corrected

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Tue Mar 31 10:13:19 PDT 2009

[Bill: I think our disagreement a while ago had to do with the dependence of
Voc and Vmp with insolation. I said there was one and you said there wasn't.
The way I resolved it in my mind is that there is a small change in Voc with
insolation as well in Vmp, but to zeroth order one could ignore the change
for most practical calculations.]

I should have mentioned this, but I don't have the luxury of putting
together a string of type A and string of type B. I have 8 of type A while I
have only 6 of type B. I wish I did have 8+8 but I only have 8+6 and I
wanted to use them all (I am guilty of optimizing). It seemed a shame to go
the 6+6 route, and I'd guess I'd have to do some research on low voltage,
grid tied inverters (I think even a Fronius needs 8 module strings).

So, if I accept the lower operating current, limited by the type B modules,
in a split string...will this stress out the type B modules in the string?

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com