[RE-wrenches] Battery based grid tie question.

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Mar 25 23:12:57 PDT 2009

Colleagues:

Interesting that this topic comes up at this time:

1. We inherited a grid-tie project wherein an elderly client was sold an SW
installation some years ago.  Come to find out, the installer never filed
anything with the utility.  The client was caught recently back-feeding
without permission by a meter reader and told to cease and desist.  We
filed an application with the utility thinking this was a long shot since
the client's SW inverter did not have the requisite Grid-tie Interface
(GTI).  We have several GTIs sitting on the shelf, but the inverter does
not have the proper interface so one could not be installed.  Lo and
behold, the utility approved this installation for interconnection.

2. We have an application to the local utility (PG&E) pending for a three
XW installation with a motor-generator.  We have received multiple
communications from PG&E doubting the acceptability of the XW system for
use as a gird-tied battery-back up system.  We are hoping that PG&E accepts
the listings from the various agencies and approves the project.

Interesting that the old, non-complaint system receives swift approval but
the latest and greatest gear hits a regulatory road block!  We'll keep you
posted.

William Miller