[RE-wrenches] Line Side Feed In and Disconnects

Steve Johnson sjohnson at lightwavesolarelectric.com
Fri Mar 13 17:46:58 PDT 2009

Oh brother, that 230.72(A) is a nightmare.
TVA and their 160 distributors are in the process of going to a line side feed in tariff from a load side production credit.
Actually they plan on letting the distributor offer either or both options at their discretion.
I'm laying out  a job today with a standalone rack mounted 100 amp 3 phase 480 volt disconnect and feed thru meter out by the padmount transformer.
The existing service is 2500 amp and because the service was installed under the building slab (new building) there is no outdoor disconnect.
This means we would have to dig up a 2500 amp service and turn it up out by the padmount transformer. FORGET IT!  That's a huge switch with 4 four inch conduits full of 400 MCM going in and going out of that switch.

This is onerous.  Onerous I tell you!
I would submit that the exception to 230.72 (A) for water pumps be amended to add clean renewable PV systems.
John Wiles are you out there?

Steve Johnson
LightWave Solar Electric
Nashville, TN