[RE-wrenches] grid tie sync with big stiff genny?

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 13 13:58:26 PDT 2009

HI All
This system is very large and is out of my experience range.  BUT I have seamlessly integrated a 40 HP motor and a grid/generator/solar tie.  We also do a related lab experiment in my solar class.  Voltages may make these methods prohibitive in your case prohibitive in your case.  This is a little bit outside of the box so read carefully.

Your load is mostly motors, probably with a much much smaller need for 120/208 lighting and plug loads (perhaps less than one percent).

Motors and particular pumps for a water system are on speed drives for reasons of control and energy savings.  These speed drives have DC busses that operate from AC power sources and drive AC motors.

DC coupled solar gen set
The DC from the solar array can be feed directly into a VFD "speed drive's" DC buss.  In our lab experiment the students connect the solar array directly into a 10 hp VFD, and 3 phase motors are driven from the speed drive.  The array voltage must be in range of the allowed VFD bus voltage, the speed drive will stop drawing AC as the array provides all the power, current, and share current as the array power drops.  The problem is of course you do not have MPPT on the array.  The second approach is to use an inverter from the Array and boost the voltage above 10% or so above the AC voltage of the AC mains and rectify the this to power the DC bus of the VFD.  Caution the non-linier load of the rectifier may overload the inverter.

I have done the first suggestion, but not the second.
DT