[RE-wrenches] panel fire

Brian White brianw at eagleroofing.com
Mon Feb 23 11:00:53 PST 2009

Jay,

I am assuming that you are referring to their membrane / flat roof product, the roof tile is a standard laminate with a polymer frame. The membrane product is a lamination of (PVC>DIBOND>TEDLAR>CELLS>ETFE cover sheet) with all of the required adhesives and EVA. The membranes have been manufactured in both a 450 & 225 Watt versions, and I am pretty sure that they have all utilized Sunpower cells, although I know they were testing with some other manufactures.

I am not sure if you were thinking that they might be the culprit for this panel fire or not, but I am 99.9% sure that the panels shown in the photos were not Open Energy product. The membranes have never been produced (that I am aware of) with a metalized frame around the lamination, although I know that some people (inexperienced self installers) do some weird things when they get product in their hands. Also, all of the membranes have a J-Box on the front of the panel, as they are intended to be mounted directly onto a flat membrane roof.

The ETFE cover sheet that is used, is a plastic type material, but it is not smooth like the material in the photos appeared to be, it is somewhat dimpled if you will. They have also passed a Class A fire rating test at slopes of 2:12 and less.

Please keep in mind that I am no longer an Open Energy employee and do not promote their product for better or worse, but I do have some personal insight to their construction I thought I would share. Also, since I left, I doubt they have a representative on this list.

Best Regards,
Brian C. White
Sr. Design Engineer - PV System

Eagle Roofing Products