[RE-wrenches] Surrette Battery Terminal Repair

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Mon Feb 16 15:21:06 PST 2009

Hello Wrenches,

So I've got 4v x 1104 AH battery that took a beating whilst being moved to
it's 4th home in 10 years.

One of the soldered on L terminals got broke off.  Battery itself still
works "fine".  I was able to vice grip the battery cable and lug on there
and determined that it charges and discharges normally.

I've got a replacement L-terminal from Surrette and am preparing to make
repairs.  I have to remove the remnants of the old L terminal and solder
back on the new one.  It's a pretty large assemble.  It's approximately 6
inches long x 2 inches wide and weighs at least a few lbs. I familiar with
sweating copper but have never soldered lead to lead.

I'm sure someone has done this and can offer me some advice on what to be
careful about.  I only get one shot at this.  I have to remove (unsolder)
the old terminal from battery and solder the new one on.  Do I flux it and
what sort of flux? Does the new terminal just melt around the "nubs" on the
battery or do I need to add material (lead?).

Thanks,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services

Checked by AVG.