[RE-wrenches] Panel Fire

Tump tump at hughes.net
Fri Feb 13 08:09:19 PST 2009

Joel, Living IN MAINE & interacting w/ Richard Komp I have to disagree on
your statement below. RC is very smart & has worked in solar MANY years but
he is NOT very helpful to those of us trying to make a living doing PV here
in Maine.
I was asked to size an inverter( probably the 4th person he contacted) for a
local radio talk host that  was buying "60 Watt solar modules" from
Richard's guys that were building them in NY at a prison.
These modules were costing this guy $300.00 I looked at a couple to try &
establish Isc & Voc to match them w/ a grid tie inverter, needless to say
their power characteristics were all over the place. The modules were found
to have ~46-54Wts, NO  outdoor rated wire for that matter there was NO
listing on the wire.A tube of caulk per module. I brought this to the
attention of both this guy & RK only to hear something like we need to
address our QC a bit better. I suggested that using an Enphase Invt + Sanyo
modules I could sell him UL listed products w/ a warrantee for ~$6.90/wt.
Please understand that I do know rk & there IS a place for his work in 3rd
world countries  BUT not here in the USA where we are trying to establish a
profession that you too Joel have worked long & hard to develop.
As for the Maine sun there is very little that address the real PROFESSIONAL
world of solar nor has their been any discussion about the need for limited
license or certified installers. Its a rag that promotes DIY & his work in
Central A.