[RE-wrenches] Panel Fire + DIY Ebooks

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Thu Feb 12 21:07:05 PST 2009

Hi all -- Thought I'd better chime in now. We are going to start seeing
a lot of this (fires, electrocutions, lawsuits), and RE Wrenches are
going to have to be aware of it and be prepared for repair calls,
consulting, and even "expert witness" court testimony.

Since besides private RE consulting, I work for a website focused on DIY
renewable energy, I buy books and Ebooks and review them. About 8 years
ago I got one for $12.95  about cheap PV modules. I imagine the guy made
a few hundred bucks on this paper book. It had such tidbits as getting
smashed solar panels from traffic sign rental places, buying solar
cells, gluing them to plywood and wiring them together, and how older PV
modules (and batteries) are available for pennies on the dollar from RE
installers because "homeowners often upgrade to newer PV panels." Yeah,
right.

Now someone is getting rich, thanks to an affiliate program-- the
Earth4Energy Ebook sells for $49.95, there's a DVD too, and has the same
misinformation as the old book, updated with color photos and plans for
an impossible wind turbine (8 foot PVC blades, small tape drive motor,
no furling system, 1000 watts @ 20mph -- yeah, right). This Ebook (85
pages, large type, lots of white space) sells online under dozens of
different names now. They all review each other, with glowing reports
about how the utility pays THEM and how YOU can do all this too for only
$200 in materials!

What's scary and dangerous is that the ads all imply grid tie
applications for this homebrew stuff:
"Don't pay for your electricity any longer...
Instead, the power company will pay YOU!"

But in the site FAQs:
"Will I learn how to wire the renewable power into my homes AC breaker
panel?"
"Wiring your own power into the AC breaker panel is very dangerous and
is illegal unless it is done by a qualified electrician."

And then from the Earth4Energy Ebook:
"If you do not wish to go as far as connecting your system to
the breaker panel you can simply run your appliances
straight from your AC inverter. Running your appliances
straight from the inverter is easy and a very cheap option."

I assume this means the homeowner is to run extension cords around the
house to each appliance? Oh my.

I am currently working with other DIY renewable energy authors to get
some real reviews up about Earth4Energy and all its affiliates. They are
selling tens of thousands of copies of this crap.

The average person that buys these $49.95 Ebooks has NO clue about how
any RE system, wind or PV, off grid or on, works. The websites cleverly
do not mention that the $200 you spend for building your own plywood PV
panels and toy wind turbines doesn't include a grid tie inverter,
balance of system components, and signoff by a licensed installer or
electrician...and at least where *I* live, the county inspector would go
ballistic if he saw PV cells glued to plywood.

Jeff Yago -- you might look into this. I can send you a copy of
Earth4Energy, I DID buy it after getting complaints here about the Ebook
and DVD, and the whole topic (even without naming names) might make a
great column for you in Countryside or Backwoods Home.

As someone who tries to encourage DIY RE, this whole thing is
mortifying. It gives the entire RE industry a bad name (not just the DIY
folks) because the implication is that professional RE installers are
ripping the customer off with $1000 PV modules, when the customer could
just build their own.

We have a nice list of installations where folks that built our DIY wind
turbines (a modified Hugh Piggott design) from our book "Homebrew Wind
Power" (ISBN 978-0-9819201-0-8) have been successfully permitted and
signed off on by the inspectors for both off-grid and islanding
grid-tie. That's another reason this Earth4Energy Ebook thing infuriates
me....the wind turbine information in there is both impossible in
claimed power output and dangerous in application.

Wrenches, be prepared for a storm of questions about this stuff....it's
everywhere now.

On the bright side -- I always charge double my normal hourly rate to
diagnose and fix RE systems that I didn't design and install. AND, for
the professional RE wrench with NABCEP certifications and an
electrician's license, being an "expert witness" in a court case can be
a very good paying gig!

DAN FINK
http://www.otherpower.com/