[RE-wrenches] Eco-temp tankless water heaters

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Tue Feb 10 00:20:35 PST 2009

Hi Chris,

Using your identification "Eco-Temp tankless " returned zero hits on Google.
I have not heard of this brand before and I try hard to keep up with this
section of the industry.
What I can offer is that there are five (5) major _manufacturers_ of
tankless water heaters that market to North America. Alphabetically: Bosch,
Noritz, Paloma, Rinnai, and Takagi. A multitude of other companies market
gas tankless. Even more market electric tankless. Sometimes these other
companies simply change the decal on the machine to their own name. Not
unlike buying a Mercury instead of a Ford (or vice versa). For example. A.O.
Smith, a premier manufacturer of tank water heaters, also markets a tankless
under the A. O. Smith label. Today A. O. Smith are marketing the Rinnai,
earlier they were using a competitor tankless manufacturer.

Even in the short time since tankless entered the mass market through Home
Despot, minor manufacturers have come and gone. What is the support and
warranty worth when the company is no longer serving North America or out of
business?

There are way too many horror stories regarding tankless. IMHO due in no
small part to the unwillingness of the installer to 1) read the installation
manual, 2) understand what he read, and 3) follow those instructions. If the
installation is good there will be far fewer service issues and the user
will have a baseline from which to judge subsequent performance. Scaling
(water quality) is the mortal enemy of any tankless. Provide for and explain
descaling to the customer or address the water quality issue during the
installation and everyone's life becomes simpler.

There are two classifications of gas water heater both tank and tankless -
natural draft and power vented. The only commonality between the two are the
fact they both use gas. If you have properly installed a natural draft tank
or tankless you have zero experience (and carryover skills) with a power
vented tank or tankless. Read the manual _before_ installation and save
callbacks and frustration.

In a freezing climate, the only responsible way to install a power vented
tankless in tight construction is by using a direct vent configuration. Make
a good installation and you or your customer will enjoy the benefits of
endless hot water, no standby losses, and space savings.

Best wishes to you in your tankless decision,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar