[RE-wrenches] NY Times: 25% price reduction on PV

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Feb 4 07:49:58 PST 2009

The Wrench list should be in good a position to evaluate whether or
not green technology is heading down the tubes.   It seems hopeful
for another good year, from my perspective.  Can anyone confirm or
deny this?  Has the bottom fallen out in your area?

Maybe wind farms and other concerns, requiring huge capital outlays,
will have a hard time with the current credit situation, but will
that deeply effect the more modest projects?

If module prices have indeed dropped 25%, that should indeed lower
the costs of systems.  Even if modules are only 60% of the cost, a
25% reduction in 60% of the price is significant, still a 15%
decrease in system costs.  That, with rebates and other incentives,
should add up to an easier to swallow price tag.

With money in the bank gaining minuscule interest, and inflation
eating up savings, spending money can make sense.  Buy a PV or hot
water system, and savings are again working by producing ever more
expensive energy.  Leave it in the bank, and watch its value deteriorate.

Maybe I'm deep in that river in Egypt (De Nile), but I'm hoping we
are still on the upswing.

At 09:41 AM 2/4/2009, you wrote:
>Take notice: Today's NY Times quotes Rhone Resch of SEIA as saying
>"The price of solar panels has fallen by 25 percent in six months."
>http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/business/04windsolar.html
>
>What kind of $/W are people getting these days?
>

>--
>

>Nicholas Ponzio
>Building Energy
>1570 South Brownell Road
>Williston, VT 05495
>
>t: 802-859-3384 x15
>f: 802-658-3982
>www.BuildingEnergyVT.com
>
>"Building Solutions for a Sustainable Future"

>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Options & settings:

>List rules & etiquette:
>www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm