[RE-wrenches] Maxing out the roof

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 3 08:36:02 PST 2009

Hi Max,

I can't resist writing - Max is on the roof maxing out the roof. Now that I got that out of my system, what we are seeing are increasingly restrictive rules that limit how much PV a person can have. Granted, neighbors have the right to protect themselves and their property from actual and potential dangers like solar modules blowing off the roof or fires spreading from one house to another. But do my neighbors' rights to protect include denying me the use of my entire roof, or for that matter, anywhere on my property? Yes. Depending on your local laws, you cannot stick your PV outside your property setbacks. You cannot put your PV on above certain heights. You cannot put your PV up to your roof ridge. You cannot fill your roof with PV. You cannot have ground-mounted PV without taking measures to protect trespassers. And so on...

The same loss of freedom happened with other technologies (radio, automobiles, airplanes, etc.) as they moved into the mainstream. So PV pioneers, enjoy your success but add insurance, permit fees, legal fees, and other costs to your cashflow budget.

Joel Davidson