[RE-wrenches] Snowman Armed with Solar Powered Flamethrower

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 23:33:52 PST 2009

Wrenches,

Thanks for the great notes, guys.  On and off-list.

For the record, I first ran across this about a week ago doing some research
into how many fires are attributed to or otherwise related to solar.  This
was spurred by the recent hot-topic related to the inaccurate and misleading
article on the firefighter's website.  I happened to be applying various
search techniques that were in the "How To Do Online Research" powerpoint
that Joel D offered and sent.  Thanks Joel!

Of course my twisted sense of humor thought it was hilarious at the time,
especially in light of the research I was working on.  When it was included
in the monthly list of "recalled consumer items" in this morning's paper, I
figured it had to be a sign.

A couple of notes that I think are interesting &/or important here:

1)  As witnessed by Travis & Todd's experiences, intensified sunlight can be
hazardous.

2)  Considering the amount of solar, thermal & PV, that is out there and the
number of years that it has been, I found surprisingly little in the way of
reported "fire caused by solar" incidents.  My research has Hallmark as the
leading manufacturer with two in this statistic.  I'll put a caveat of "so
far" on the end of that.  Hope it stays that way.

3)  Keep in mind that, fire + solar in the same article do not mean "solar
caused fire".  In fact, it does not even mean there is or was a fire... Or
necessarily even have anything to do with solar.  Solar Car catches fire
(caused by overcharged batteries); SolarFire (astrology software); Solar
Projects Catching Fire (headline of an article in a NC newspaper. Article
was about the booming solar business).

4)  A great many incidents are not reported in places reached by the WWW.  I
personally know of several structure fires that have occurred on buildings
that have PV systems on them.  In these cases, the fires were not related to
the PV, and the PV did NOT get in the way of the firefighters. These cases
did not turn up in my searches.  The reality is that there would not be a
reason for the PV system to have been mentioned in a typical blotter story.
Unfortunately.

You see, the way I look at it is this:  The stories need to be told.
Truthfully and wholly.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  Maybe if these
things were better tracked, there would be less likelihood of future
"experts" spreading falsehoods in the name of "saving firefighters".

We all need to understand how the work we do today affects somebody down the
road.  Are firefighters being overly protective?  Are solar installers doing
dangerous work or installing in a manner that poses undue risks to
firefighters?

I can't really tell ya based on the statistics.  Or maybe I can.  X # of PV
systems deployed over Y # years with 0 structure fires caused by PV
reported?  X # of PV systems deployed over Y # years with 0 times that
firefighters report being impeded by the PV system.  Which is what I started
out looking for in the first place.  I found Frosty instead.

Would love to get into the archives on that "secret list" to see what they
have to say about solar and their experiences there.

$0.02001

Matt Lafferty
gilligan06 at gmail.com

  _____