[RE-wrenches] fire safety vs. fire hysteria?

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Mon Jan 5 13:42:16 PST 2009

Nik:

Ian Woofenden mailed me the same letter which has apparently been
circulating on the internet of late.  Ian asked for my response for a
potential column or at least a reply to a letter to the editor for Home
Power.  Below is what I wrote back.  If I missed any points, I appreciate
any feedback from my colleagues.

There are valid concerns, in my opinion, that exist about fire fighter
safety.  Unfortunately, the letter you forwarded is only partly
rational.  In California, there are competing Fire Departments that are
attempting to create regulations for PV installs to accommodate fire
fighter safety concerns.  The two top agencies are the Cal Fire and the
LAFD.  Preliminary documents from both agencies are on our web site under
resources:  http://mpandc.com/resources/resources.html  They are near the
top of the list.

The implications of the roof edge set backs are severe.  We did a quick
analysis of the 20 jobs we did previous to the issuance of these
preliminary standards and, of the residential jobs, about 90% would be
infeasible with the new setbacks.

One of the agencies, I recall it was the LAFD, allowed quick release
hardware to suffice if minimum setbacks could not occur.  We created some
concepts for quick release mounting and presented them to DPW, but they
never contacted us back.  As more and more jurisdictions require setbacks,
I am hoping some manufacturer can take these concepts and create a product
that will allow installations closer to the roof edges than either of the
above requirements would allow.

This is a topic that will be very important in the next year.  Thanks for
brining it up.

William Miller

Ian:

The firefighters letter states facts for the most part.  The two areas I
disagree with is the length of time that a PV feeder remains energized
after being tarped and the presence of PV feeder voltages at night.  The
time required for covered PV modules to de-energize should be no greater
than five minutes by statute and confirmed by independent lab
testing.  After sunset PV voltage will not be present.

The 2005 National electrical code addresses these safety issues as related
to fire fighters by requiring the PV feeders either have a disconnect
located prior to the feeder entering the building envelope or the feeders
need to be inside a metallic conduit.  I believe future code editions may
further improve safety by requiring minimum spacing below roof surfaces for
this conduit to be installed.

Firefighters can be assured of safety from PV voltage hazards if they
follow two rules (in addition to turning off any disconnects provided):  1.
Do not break the modules, and 2. Do not cut through metallic conduits.  I
can not comment on the likelihood of electrocution by voltages following a
stream of water, but I am sure there is information out there on this issue.

Ian, I hope this answers your questions.  Please feel free to reformat this
to fit your needs.  If my name will be on it, run it by me for review.

William Miller