[RE-wrenches] Fwd: RE: Solar System Certification

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Dec 22 19:40:32 PST 2009

Colleagues:

I have a good friend that is a licensed electrical engineer.  I forwarded
to him the background about the Yorba Linda certification
requirement.  Below is his response, which I think is very pertinent to
this list.  I redacted his name and contact information because I forgot to
ask his permission to post his response to the list.  If anyone wishes to
pose any questions, I can forward.

With any PV system in the field, there are several variables which are
difficult to quantify:  Insolation, both instantaneous and over time,
temperature at the module, and wind speed.  When I am looking at a PV
system to evaluate suitable operation, there is some subjectivity in
determining acceptable output. I believe it would be difficult to give a go
or no-go determination to a given system.  As my friend asks below, "who
sets the standards, and what are they?"

William Miller