[RE-wrenches] Shade Mitigating DC Device Application (Matt Lafferty)

William Korthof wkorthof at eesolar.com
Wed Oct 28 23:58:13 PDT 2009

Why bother with the DC converters if you only have 2 strings?

Get a wide-range, dual-channel inverter (Power One 5000) and plug in
the modules
however you like. The bypass diodes in the modules will bypass the
shaded module
sections as appropriate for the conditions, and rest of the modules
(not shaded) will
contribute power used by the wide-input MPPT at the optimal string
voltage.
The input channels are separately controlled, so they both operate at
their optimal
MPPT voltage at all times.

The input voltage range is extremely wide, 90 to 550 Vdc (Mppt), with
a startup
voltage of 200 Vdc and a maximum Voc of 600 Vdc. That's extremely
flexible gets
you very close to harvesting 100% of the available module output.

Cost, performance, and reliability seem far better with a PV/inverter
combination
than what you get if you add DC converters to each module.

/wk