[RE-wrenches] micro-hydro distribution problem

Nick Houser offgridn at telus.net
Sun Oct 25 14:29:22 PDT 2009

Esteemed fellow wrenches: May we put our heads together on today's problem
in my terrain: How best to distribute and regulate the output of a single
turbine from a convenient distribution point to
four residences on the off grid property, each with it's own 12 volt
battery/inverter system. If I may spare you the details of the
lake/stream/intake/penstock and apparatus, let's say we have
sufficient head and flow to divide 700 watts four ways, average distance
maybe 300 feet. The problem becomes:  diversion controllers and dump loads
at each battery or some central scheme?
Anybody done this kind of thing? Cautionary tales welcomed. (Any
experienced comments welcomed.
Thanks muchly in advance.  Nick Houser  Off Grid Services,  Lund, British
Columbia.