[RE-wrenches] Outback BOS

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Oct 23 01:03:03 PDT 2009

Friends:

I have grown fond of the Outback cabinets and hardware.  We have found a
tremendous amount of flexibility in these enclosures.  We have had to learn
as we progressed, for example:

We have mounted lots of SW inverters in the green and silver
assemblies.  We had to learn how to adapt them to the silver equipment.

We have stacked 8 FX inverters in two cabinets with custom bus and bypass
design, we have installed three way bypass assemblies of our own design, we
have put X240 transformers internally and externally. The boxes have the
internal capacity and breaker mounting space to allow maximum
capabilities.  We have developed drawing templates that allow us to layout
out a job before we receive the parts.  We have developed custom bussing to
minimize the wire runs.  Most of all, we have become adept at installing
wiring and making it look pretty. We use lacing strips internally to keep
wiring straight and in minimal cross-section.

I have never used the "Not-a-gutter" product, but we've taken out some
E-Panels.  I am sure they are thoughtfully designed, but they do make me
feel claustrophobic.  I don't imagine one can adapt any of the Midnite
equipment for use with the SW inverters. Correct me if I am wrong.

We have also gained a lot of experience with the XW PDP.  They are too
small and lack adequate breaker capacity.  We have to install outboard load
centers if we install three XW inverters.

See our web site for photos of lots of installs with Outback gear.  I
remember when all Outback had was BOS!  I hope the BOS is available for
years to come.

William Miller

Please note new e-mail address and domain:

William Miller
Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: william at millersolar.com
http://millersolar.com
License No. C-10-773985