[RE-wrenches] "Name that solar module" guessing game!

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Thu Oct 22 14:59:22 PDT 2009

Set the dials on the Wayback Machine, Wrenches!

The modules which I wish to identify had bright blue polycrystal square
cells, before the yellowing and discoloration occurred.

They are 50' high on a 12:12 metal roof, and 45 minutes from the nearest
emergency room. I am not anxious to make that climb but a friendly helper
was going up anyway, so he took some photos. Unfortunately, the labels could
not be read or photographed. Dimensions of the frames are, sadly,
unavailable.

There is one telltale clue, however, which will no doubt yield the Correct
Answer from one of the Mechanics: The junction boxes are round with a
bayonet mount cover that rotates to liberate the cover. The boxes are big
and deep. (I hate to mention that because some of us liked things better
when we had big and deep junction boxes, and I don't want this thread to go
off topic.)

My own guess is Kyocera brand, possibly earlier than the venerable K-51.
Alas, my little gray cells are not what they used to be, so I'm polling the
group. The yellowing does point away from my own guess because I had not
seen that on Kyocera brand, nor on other polycrystal brands.

All Correct Respondents have my permission to take the rest of the day off!
Bonus Points if a Correct Respondent can also state approximate time of
manufacture.

Thanks for helping,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com