[RE-wrenches] Solar power Magic

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Sun Jul 26 17:41:59 PDT 2009

Does anyone have any experience with these units?

Do they work with off grid lower voltages?

Do they work with all controllers?

Do they affect MPPT function positively or negatively?

Do they work well with Grid tie?

How would you gauge the increased performance?

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc

www.solarwork.com

E - dana at solarwork.com

V - 970.626.5253

F - 970.626.4140

C - 970.209.4076

"I'd put my money on solar energy. I hope we don't have to wait 'til oil and
coal run out before we tackle that."

-Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, March
1931

SolarMagic <http://www.solarmagic.com/> T Technology Home -- Solar for the
Real World

SolarMagic Power Optimizer

 <http://www.intersolar.de/index.php?id=271&L=1>
<http://www.intersolar.de/index.php?id=271&L=1>
http://www.solarmagic.com/vcm/SolarMagic_Content/images/en_US/IS09_AWARD-SIG
NET-sm.jpg <http://www.intersolar.de/index.php?id=271&L=1> Today's
photovoltaic arrays are defined as strings of series-connected PV panels,
which are then paralleled together and converted to AC power through an
inverter. The key challenge of these arrays is how a small amount of
real-world mismatch with just a few of the PV panels can cut the power
output of the entire array in half. This mismatch can come in the form of
shading (e.g. trees, chimneys, overhead power lines, bird droppings,
handrails, etc.), panel-to-panel mismatch, different panel orientations and
tilts, or different string lengths.

http://www.solarmagic.com/vcm/SolarMagic_Content/images/en_US/SM-Unit-headon
-sm.jpgAs a result of these mismatches, system integrators are often forced
to compromise their installation by various methods, such as reducing the
size of the array to avoid shade, accepting a lower energy output per square
meter, or adding extra panels in a different part of the array, all of which
cost money, efficiency, and/or aesthetics for the system owner.

To maximize the energy output of each solar PV panel in the array, National
Semiconductor has developed SolarMagic technology, which enables each solar
panel to produce the maximum energy regardless of whether other panels in
the array are under-performing due to mismatch. SolarMagic technology
monitors and maximizes the energy harvest of each individual PV panel
through advanced algorithms combined with leading-edge mixed-signal
technology, thereby recouping up to 57% of the lost energy due to
mismatches.

The SolarMagic power optimizer is designed to be installed quickly and
easily within the traditional architecture of a solar array. Each power
optimizer comes with a universal mounting bracket for easy attachment to a
racking system. The output wires of each solar panel are simply
series-connected to a power optimizer (positive wire to positive wire,
negative to negative), with the power optimizer output wires correspondingly
connecting into the next solar panel's power optimizer.

All SolarMagic power optimizers come with a limited 20-year warranty,
thereby ensuring the reliability of the panel-mounted electronics matches
the panels themselves.