[RE-wrenches] Roof Loading request for help

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Jul 7 17:26:00 PDT 2009

Wrenches,

We are currently facing a city permitting bureaucracy that has recently
discovered solar - that is, suddenly each department in the permitting and
plan review departments is coming up with standards for PV systems. Some of
the standards, of course, make no sense.

PV systems typically add about three pounds per square foot to the loading
on a roof. We are facing a city requirement for structural engineering work
for standard roof attachment if the mounting approach is to make
penetrations into the roof structure. This is a typical requirement that
will only add considerable cost to each PV system, and we're looking to have
our ammunition to fight this well stocked in advance. Specifically, are
building authorities in other jurisdictions requiring structural engineering
work for this type of roof attachment?

Thanks

Allan

Allan Sindelar