[RE-wrenches] FW: 690.47D (revisited)

Kelly Keilwitz, Whidbey Sun & Wind kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Thu Jun 4 17:33:52 PDT 2009

All,
This issue was discussed here about a year ago, before most jurisdictions
had adopted the 2008 Code and AHJ's started interpreting it.

Our current situation is a residential, roof-mounted PV array, with not an
extraordinary distance to the existing AC GEC. The AHJ has NOT required the
"additional PV" GE, but IS requiring the extra GEC from the array to the
AC/DC GE, on the grounds of (690.47D) "The dc grounding electrode conductor
shall be sized according to 250.166" (i.e. #8 min). We have the standard EGC
inside the conduit, running with the PV DC circuit conductors.

Is there any "grounds" for this requirement? What are your AHJ's requiring?

Thanks,

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
WA Electrical Administrator #KEILWKM923RB
987 Wanamaker Rd.
Coupeville, WA, 98239
360.678.7131
sunwind at whidbeysunwind.com