[RE-wrenches] Disposal of Batteries

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Mon May 11 07:50:43 PDT 2009

About a year or two  ago there was a world shortage of lead and scrap prices for lead wet up and up, but these days I have not heard any more about this.  We are getting ready to clean out all the old L-16's we have taken back during system up-grades that have been piling up, but the local battery supplier we use only offers to unload them off our truck for free.

I am sure I may be able to track down a scrap yeard but all are in distant cities and not sure if its worth the extra drive with a trailer.

What is the going rate these days for scrap lead if taken to a scrap yard?

Since most scrap yards pay by weight, do they want them drained of acid and only pay the dry weight, or do they pay a fixed price per battery?

Any other options?

Jeff Yago