[RE-wrenches] Ishaq M. Shahryar passed away Sunday evening, April 12, 2009

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 13 21:01:56 PDT 2009

I am sad to say that our dear friend Ishaq M. Shahryar passed away Sunday
evening, April 12, 2009. Mr. Shahryar was well known in the solar industry
as the successful founder of Solec International, the first terrestrial
solar cell factory. The New Scientist magazine titled him The Sun King and
reported that he "virtually invented solar power as a serious energy
source." Mr. Shahryar loved America and his native homeland, Afghanistan. In
2002, the former Afghan King Mohammad Zahir Shah asked Mr. Shahryar to
represent his homeland which he accepted to become the first Afghan
Ambassador to the United States since 1978. His Excellency, Ambassador
Shahryar served pro bono and also invested much of his own money in the
embassy. After serving as Ambassador, Mr. Shahryar returned to California to
start a new solar company, Sun King Solar. The solar industry, Afghanistan,
his family, and his many friends will miss Ishaq dearly. He is survived by
his wife, Hafizah, son, Alexander, and daughter, Jahan.

The funeral service will be held 1:00PM, Saturday, April 18, 2009 at the
Hollywood Hills Forest Lawn Memorial Park, 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los
Angeles, California 90068 (tel 800-204-3131).

Sincerely,

Joel Davidson