[RE-wrenches] Beat your local AHJ's over the head if you have to...

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 14:09:15 PST 2009

Wrenches and lurkers,

Not advocating physical acts of agression... Standardized PV Plans

The ICC Tri-Chapter Uniform Code Committee (TUCC)has adopted and published a
"Standard PV Plans" policy. The TUCC represents a large number of building
departments in the greater Bay Area. The policy applies to Residential,
Single-Family Grid-Tie PV Systems. The document and policy is reasonable.
Not perfect, but a good step. I would recommend that you compare what you
are currently doing for these jobs to this standard. Consider it a minimum
standard. "At least this or better" would be how I view it.

Get a copy here:
http://www.eastbayicc.org/pages/TUCCPolicy/TUCC%20policy%2011%20-%20standard
ized%20PV%20plans.pdf

Shorter URL: http://tinyurl.com/StandardPVPlans

If you are having difficulties with your local AHJs, besides LA*, you might
find it helpful to refer to this. Even if you aren't having "trouble", it
might be helpful to suggest a similar standard. It may be helpful to point
out that the collective experience and number of deployed PV systems in the
territories served by the member departments is significantly greater than
that of any other similarly sized area of the country.

The TUCC is a committee representing three chapters of the ICC
(International Code Council), and doesn't have a website of their own.
For reference, the separate chapters are:

ICC Peninsula Chapter - http://www.iccpeninsula.org/
East Bay ICC - http://www.eastbayicc.org/
ICC Monterey Bay - http://www.iccmontereybay.org/

Best of luck out there!

Matt Lafferty

*Not convinced anything is going to help LA...