[RE-wrenches] FW: Panel Fire (Allan Sindelar)

William Korthof wkorthof at eesolar.com
Thu Feb 12 08:01:51 PST 2009

Wow, that panel fire situation looks terrible.

With all the review and inspections we now have to go through for LA
and LADWP solar installation,
I'm a little surprised this one even got through just based on the
shoddy roof mounting.

The terrible build quality (wandering interconnect traces...) and
plexiglass top surface make me think
that these these modules were fabricated in someone's garage...
possibly the installer/seller.

The seller may have represented them as a listed product that is
available in 250 watt size, such as
ET Solar Industry #ET-P672250 or a Schott product, or a Solon AG
product. Looking online, none
of those real products resembled the modules on that customer's roof.

Back in the solar hot water era, there were numerous cons that got
into the business. I've heard
stories of some who fabricated their own sub-standard "solar hot water
panels" basically a metal
box with plexiglass and a pipe going though... it's a little harder to
do with PV, but looks like
someone got the same idea.

I can almost hear the responses now "Oh, when solar panels
malfunction, they can catch fire and
cause homes to burn down"... I hope the authorities take this
situation for what it is---fraud---and
respond accordingly rather than fan the flames of the california fire
marshall and their suggested
setback procedures (should already be called "Solar roof top exclusion
program").

/wk

On Feb 12, 2009, at 6:24 A