[RE-wrenches] Maxing out the roof

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 10:04:03 PST 2009

Greetings!  First off, thanks to Allan, Brian and Peter for your input on
the external disconnect signage - I won!  We're having a UV rated plastic
sign made right now.

I'm interested in hearing what company's policies are regarding filling a
roof with solar.  I have always advocated for a 2-3' perimeter around the
array to a) facilitate ease of installation, b) prevent excessive wind
personally think it looks better.  However, I've been getting a little
pressure from the higher-ups to let the designers place modules right up to
the edge of the roof to increase system size.  Their responses to my
arguments are a) take all the necessary precautions to keep the installers
safe while installing at the roof edge, b) install more attachments near the
roof edge to strengthen the rack structure, c) there is no requirement in
our area for firefighter access and there will always be access on the
north-facing roof anyway and d) a roof full of PV looks like a pile of
money.

What is your policy on array size and why?

Andrew Truitt
Standard Solar

--
"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor

~William McDonough