[RE-wrenches] Outback VFX input voltage cycling

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 10:28:08 PST 2008

HI all and Ron
Hope you find the answer soon as this is a puzzelment to me.

My take, if the generator is running and there is an audiable click, the voltage drops and probibly the frequency the inverter would correctly release the generator, the generator would recover and then the inverter tries again.  If the AC-in max charge current is set very low, or even off, the inverter must be loading the AC-in beyond the generators capability, which means the generator is on idle or not a generator problem. If the generator is running on idle then it would need some fixed load to make it run on power.

If it is the inverter either the inverter is picking up load on AC-out or it is backing feeding to AC in or the inverter has a bad board.  Assuming the inverter is not backfeeding itself, or the inverter is not feeding a short or extreamly large load, then the Inverter FET? board must be shorted.

Darryl