[RE-wrenches] Info on Bill

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Tue Dec 23 08:05:17 PST 2008

Peter,

Here is a link to the City of Berkeley program.

http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/ContentDisplay.aspx?id=26580

I believe the bill you are refereing to has to do with the status of
California cities.  Previously, if you were a "charter" city, you had the
right to establish special assessments.

If you were not you didn't.  I think the bill allows any city regardless of
status to develop assessments.

You see, these are not low interst loans.  Rather, the City pays 100%
upfront for the home owner, and then collects back over time through a
special property tax assessment.

Berkeley has started with 40 homes.  They filled out with 40 applications
within 9 minutes of opening the program.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way
Nevada City,  CA 95959