[RE-wrenches] solar hot water penetration flashing

Karl Schwingel karl at northwindrenewable.com
Wed Dec 10 17:24:18 PST 2008

I use similar boots, and design the penetration so the insulation and
wrap ( we use aluminum) nearly cover the whole boot by the time you're
all done.  you're left with about 1/2" of boot showing all the way around.

where can I get the coolie cap style brazed copper flashings?

karl

Todd Cory wrote:
> I use accordion style rubber boots. These are typically attached to
> the roofing with a bead of silicone underneath and gasketed metal
> roofing screws on top. These are made for all kinds of metal roof
> penetrations and I have even seen them used for 6" metalbestos stove
> flues. One note of caution, the orange "high temperature" ones are (I
> think) rated only to 180 degrees F. so you want to make sure the SHW
> fluid never exceeds this. Also in time, like any rubber flashing on a
> roof the rubber will deteriorate from UV. I build a show shed over my
> system's plumbing which shades it so hopefully this will not be in
> issue in ~20 years.
>
> Todd
>

> troy Harvey wrote:
>> Any thoughts on how to flash a copper pipe roof penetration on a
>> metal roof. The brazed copper flashing we typically use would cause
>> corrosion with the steel roof I'm afraid. WHat have others used in
>> this situation?
>>
>> Troy Harvey
>> ---------------------
>> Heliocentric
>> 801-453-9434
>> taharvey at heliocentric.org <mailto:taharvey at heliocentric.org>

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

Karl Schwingel
NABCEP Certified Solar Thermal Installer
NorthWind Renewable Energy LLC

PO Box 723 Stevens Point, WI 54481
Karl at Northwindre.com
Cell: 715 209 0446
Fax : 715 952 4501

This e-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named
recipient(s) above, and may contain information that is privileged or
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, or are not a named recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail message from
your computer. Thank you.