[RE-wrenches] NEC Signs, Labels, Plaques,?

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Wed Dec 3 20:58:39 PST 2008

Ray wrote: like what is the difference between a sign, a plaque, a
directory, a label, and  marking??

None of these are actually in NEC Article 100 ­ Definitions. So, it¹s
actually a perfectly good question to ask.

The one thing I¹m super clear on‹because it was a favorite with our local
inspector‹is that a directory is a map, showing the relative location of
components that are related but not grouped together. Locating inverters on
a roof that is not readily accessible, for example, triggers the requirement
for a directory. It¹s a great for the tech who has to service the project
10, 15, 20 years from now. But it¹s especially useful for inspectors,
facilities personnel, fire fighters and electricians unfamiliar with a/the
PV system.

As for the rest: when you say ³plaque², I think engraved...³label² not so
much...³warning sign² sounds pretty serious, but Exhibit 110.8 of the NEC
Handbook basically calls a sticker a ³sign². Some of these label/sign/plaque
issues are dealt with in more detail in local codes. Their probably detailed
best in RFPs and RFQs, which typically have a spec section calling out
approve sign materials. Whatever the Code does or does not say, the only
label I trust implicitly outdoors and in full sun for 20+ years is engraved.
That¹s what all the best facilities require.

Anyone actually own an engraver? How much do you have to spend engraving
labels every year before you just go out and buy the equipment?