[RE-wrenches] CEC module rating testing

Antony Tersol tony at appliedsolarenergy.com
Mon Dec 1 20:19:08 PST 2008

If the PTC is calculated from the STC and not the results of testing
at "PVUSA Test Conditions", then it's of somewhat dubious utility as a
predictor of performance, since it's a function of an already
questionable quantity - the STC.

What the PTC and STC _should_ measure is well-defined:

"PTC refers to PVUSA Test Conditions, which were developed to test and
compare PV systems as part of the PVUSA (Photovoltaics for Utility
Scale Applications) project. PTC are 1,000 Watts per square meter
solar irradiance, 20 degrees C air temperature, and wind speed of 1
meter per second at 10 meters above ground level.  PV manufacturers
use Standard Test Conditions, or STC, to rate their PV products. STC
are 1,000 Watts per square meter solar irradiance, 25 degrees C cell
temperature, air mass equal to 1.5, and ASTM G173-03 standard
spectrum."  - http://www.gosolarcalifornia.org/equipment/pvmodule.php

Most explanations imply that the STC represents what each module rated
that way will test, but any group of same model modules will have a
distribution of results.

So what does the number reported by a manufacturer represent?  The
median of their measurements?  The average?  The target?  The very
best they ever measured?

What are the tolerances?  When you get modules rated 200 watts STC,
are you getting modules that range between 180 and 220 watts or
modules that range between 180 and 200 or ?

Are the variations in power because of differences in voltage or
current?  I suspect current.  If modules are in strings, the string is
going to be limited by the worst performing module.

The California CSI program is very concerned about maximizing PV
production, and so requires installers to very accurately measure
slope, azimuth, shading, etc. requiring accuracy to 2% for some
measurements, yet there is this huge loophole of accountability:

The manufacturers are testing every module, but they don't share
results, and don't give distribution of testing as compared to STC.
The warranties differ greatly between module brands.

The company that most "pushes the limits" will appear to be delivering
more power, while the company that has the best process control, and
delivers the most real watts per dollar may seem more expensive.

Example:

Module A, STC 200 watts, PTC 175 watts, Power warranted to be at Pmin
which is -7% of Pmax, which is -5% of STC.
So module could test at 176.7w.  So PTC could really be 154.6w.

Module B, STC 200 watts, PTC 175 watts, Power warranted to be -0% STC
at delivery.  So PTC might really be 175 watts.

So if A is priced at 5% less than B, it seems like a better deal.  But
power delivered is 12% less.