[RE-wrenches] tower lifting winches

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Tue Nov 25 08:54:44 PST 2008

Hi Nik -- We shop around locally and on Ebay for slow, large-ratio
worm-drive winch bodies that are power in/power out. We give them a
safety check, lube them up, and then they are usually mounted
permanently near the customer's tower. We usually then power the winch
with a cordless drill and a couple battery packs. The limit on that
depends on the gear ratio of the winch, but it's been fine for 60-80ft
towers made of 6 inch steel tubing. If the tower is larger or higher, or
if your cordless is wimpy, look for an AC gear motor to power the winch.
DAN FINK
http://www.otherpower.com/
Co-author, "Homebrew Wind Power"
ISBN 978-0-9819201-0-8
http://www.buckville.com/

Nicholas Ponzio wrote:
 > Wind Wrenches,
 >
 > I'm shopping for an electric winch for raising tilt-up towers (small
turbines and anemometers). What do you use? Would you buy something
different if you had to do it again?