[RE-wrenches] Golden Genesis question

Tom Elliot telliot at wagonmaker.com
Sun Nov 23 14:13:28 PST 2008

Golden Genesis questionOne thing, Golden Genesis was playing around with
cadmium telluride thin film and they made a bunch of them, sending them to
locations all over the world before they decided to cancel production.
There was a huge array of them in an off-grid community west of Golden off
I-70 called York Gulch (nothing organized, just an off-grid area where
everyone had some alternative power source).  That array ran a couple of 48
volt Trace inverters and powered a pretty good sized house.

When they shut down production the outfit that sold them the fabrication
equipment bought back all the production equipment on the condition that
they could also have all the modules that had been produced and were not in
use.  Sometime around the millenium they then put an ad in the Denver papers
offering modules for sale pretty cheap and I  purchased a truckload of them
for practically nothing.  The modules were 2'x2' square and extremely heavy.
They also were made with untempered plate glass and could break if handled
wrong.

The panels had a 24 volt output but their power rating varied from panel to
panel with the idea being to create a big array, measure the output and size
for that.  Not very handy from a design standpoint.   The individual panels
or small arrays of them made for great small systems, I used a couple of
panels to charge the batteries for my trolling motor.

Tom