[RE-wrenches] tankless hot water and pumping question

Tom Elliot telliot at wagonmaker.com
Thu Nov 13 18:48:15 PST 2008

MessageIs there something that would preclude using a two stage system like
the one I used in my home in Colorado?  We had a Shurflo 9600 in the well,
happily pumping against a 65 foot head into a buried 1200 gallon food grade
plastic tank from which we then drew water using a Flowlight booster pump to
pressurize the house.  Our hot water came from an Aquastar and the new
Aquastar that generates its own spark from water flow would be a nice fit.
The advantage of using the large storage tank is that the Shurflo doesn't
cycle very much, running once or twice a week for us, less for folks that
use less water, to keep the big tank topped off.  That meant our Shurflo ran
just fine, with no maintenance at all, for 12 years until we sold our home
and as far as I know it is still running just fine.

We ran the Flowlight through a standard pressure tank and it's power use was
minimal.  That system was bulletproof for us in very cold Colorado high
country winters.

Tom