[RE-wrenches] Pt valves as overheat control

Chris Meier chrism at unirac.com
Wed Nov 12 09:00:28 PST 2008

	I have been at Trane testing facility to see a live display of
what can happen. That is why I am very concerned about using a T/P as a
controller. The main issue is the conversion of water from liquid to
vapor. Under pressure water will absorb heat but change state. As soon
as the pressure is relieved by the tank splitting or a faucet turning on
all of that  super heated water converts from liquid to vapor in an
instance the rapid expansion is the cause of the explosion.

	So by building a primary control system that can open below the
boiling point by using a zone valve or bi metal temp valve you can stop
the pressures from happening then use the T/P as the safety to that.

	Again most safety device are not designed to be cycled on or off
just fail at the right time. A while ago at Trane they would test 5000
high temperature limit switches to see if they would fail at 180 degrees
+- but out all of the test they never checked the same switch twice. But
control switches are cycled thousands of times.

Chris Meier

Product Manager

UniRac, Inc.

1411 Broadway Blvd. NE

Albuquerque, NM   87102-1545

Ph:  505-242-6411

Fx:  505-242-6412

Email:  chrism at unirac.com

Web:   http://www.unirac.com

This message contains confidential and privileged information, which is
intended for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.  It should not
be reviewed, retransmitted, disseminated, or otherwise used by a
person(s) or entities other than the intended recipient.  If you
received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from your computer system(s).