[RE-wrenches] AC coupling

Christopher Freitas cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Nov 10 15:01:30 PST 2008

Kirk -

Yes it does require the additional relay as a minimum for disconnecting
the AC coupled battery-less grid-tie inverter.   I did not think of that
as a protective relay (which is a term utility engineers use for a
protective device intended to prevent islanding of a generator usually -
it is a relay with its own voltage and/or frequency sensing circuitry
built in).

The point I was trying to make is that its pretty straight forward -
just need one 12vdc coil AC relay between the OutBack inverter and the
battery-less grid-tie inverter - unless you are also wanting to have a
back-up generator as well which will then require an additional manual
or automatic AC transfer switch...

Still pretty simple compared to many of the off-grid systems which most
of the wrenches have installed.

Christopher

Christopher Freitas

Director of Research and Development

OutBack Power Systems, Inc.

cfreitas at outbackpower.com <mailto:cfreitas at outbackpower.com>

Tel 360 435 6030

Cell 360 202 4239

19009 62nd Ave NE

Arlington WA 98223 USA

www.outbackpower.com <http://www.outbackpower.com/>

MESSAGE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. sections 2510-2521, is confidential, and may also be protected by attorney-client or other privilege. If you believe that it has been sent to you in error, please do not read it. If you are not the intended recipient,you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it. Thank you.