[RE-wrenches] Ballast Racks with Thermal Collectors

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Tue Nov 4 07:39:49 PST 2008

I have done several ballasted installations of PV and thermal on flat roofs,
all in snow country all had a decent parapet [30" around], all the roofs
were over-built for the snow load, and I had all of the owners sign a waiver
for me putting that much weight on their roof and they did not want to pay
for engineering and felt confident in their roof and all are several years
down the road and doing well.

Installation was either spray foam roof or, built up roof or membrane style
roof, pressure treated ply wood to protect the roof, rack, weight [884 solid
CMU's], then SHW Collectors or Modules. Typically we were near the north
wall / parapet and anchored the conduit or insulated pipe to the parapet
wall.

We had an aluminum base built that accepts the 8 x 8 x 4" solid concrete
block[s] firmly and has a riser to meet and bolt to the standard rack.

Thanks -

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc
www.solarwork.com