[RE-wrenches] Sharp racking on cement roof tiles

Jason Lombard openhandsolar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 09:17:21 PDT 2008

"Roof Hooks" supplied by Conergy are what I have used and it works very
well. You pull the tile accordingly with the rafter and replace the tile.
The tile stays in tact and water leakage is also kept to a bare minimum.
They look like a "J" or very similar, give a rep from Conergy the
application and they can help with the specific shape to purchase.

Wear Gloves! I have ruined my hands on tile roofs.

Good luck!

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Max Balchowsky <max at seesolar.com> wrote:

> Daryl, the best way to deal with it is to take the tiles off under the
> array. This will give the system a lower profile and a "built in" look. The
> other choice is to drill through the tile to get into the rafters. I've put
> a system in the Cayman Islands and you want to make sure you do it according
> to spec and then some when you have the potential for hurricane class
> winds.....
> Max Balchowsky
> Design Engineer
> Empire Solar Solutions
> 562-244-7068
>
> *penobscotsolar at midmaine.com* wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> We are currently sizing an 8-10 kw system in Nassau in the Bahamas and
> are faced with installing a racking system on 1 inch thick cement roof
> tiles. We have not done the Sharp training as they seem to be
> perpetually full before we get to them and their responses are only
> form letter responses.
> Has anyone installed their racking on this type of roof? The tiles
> measure approximately 8 inches wide and, as I said, are 1 inch thick.
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>

> Daryl DeJoy
> NABCEP Certified PV installer
> Certified Advanced PV Design