[RE-wrenches] Personal project: roofing colors

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Wed Sep 24 13:52:44 PDT 2008

William,

My first company truck was a 1970 Land Rover 109 Diesel, that had
something called a "tropical roof", which was a second roof surface
(aluminum like the rest of the car) mounted on standoffs about 2" above
the actual cab roof. There were also scuttle flaps that allowed inside
air to be pulled out of the interior space by airflow, but the inside
roof of this car always remained at ambient temperature. I thought this
was such a cool idea (pun intended) that I incorporated the design into
a chicken coop I had at the time to try and keep the poor girls inside
from becoming baked chicken - it worked really well.

If you use a double roof as described, it doesn't matter what the
roofing color is, as long as the eaves are open and you have a good
ridge vent to allow proper circulation, and an air gap of about 3". The
only issue being the added cost, of course!

Matt T