[RE-wrenches] NABCEP succumbs to IBEW pressure?

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 14:24:30 PDT 2008

HI all I am forwarding R. Eaton's (NABCEP exc director) response to earilier post

Hello, thank you for inviting me into the conversation about the eligibility criteria for taking NABCEP's Solar PV Exam.  There seems to be some misinformation floating around and I am writing to clarify NABCEP’s eligibility criteria for sitting for the Solar PV exam.  I am also available at 301-270-0322 and would be happy to speak over the phone when concerns are raised about NABCEP’s operations, Board functions, transparency, eligibility criteria, or anything else.

The eligibility criteria for the Solar PV exam have not changed from those stated on our website, www.nabcep.org.  When applications for taking the exam are submitted to NABCEP, they are subjected to a rigorous and objective screening process and questionable applications are then submitted to the Application Review Committee for final decision making.  The two staff members dedicated to reviewing applications do not have special deals or relationships with trainers or prospective test-takers and use the eligibility criteria, cited at the end of my email to make a decision on whether a candidate is eligible to sit for the exam.

Following are the seven different entry tracks for solar PV installer certification that the NABCEP Board and PV Technical Committee identified.

The first entry path is based upon four years of installing PV systems as the responsible person. As is indicated below, various levels of training and education can be substituted for some years of experience; however, there is a prerequisite for at least one year of actual installation experience in all seven categories. This is based on the core principal that all NABCEP certified installers should have actual experience on the job performing an installation. Candidates will need to show that they meet the prerequisites for any ONE of these combinations:

a)  Four (4) years of experience installing PV; OR

b)  Two (2) years of experience installing PV systems in addition to completion of a board-recognized training program; OR

c)  Be an existing licensed contractor in good standing in solar or electrical-construction related areas with one (1) year of experience installing PV systems; OR

d)  Four (4) years of electrical-construction related experience working for a licensed contractor, including one (1) year of experience installing PV systems; OR e)  Three (3) years experience in a U.S. Dept. of Labor approved electrical-construction trade apprentice program, including one (1) year of experience installing PV systems; OR

f)  Two-year electrical-construction related, or electrical engineering technology, or renewable energy technology/technician degree from an educational institution plus one (1) year of experience installing PV systems; OR

g)  Four-year construction related or engineering degree from an educational institution, including one (1) year experience installing PV systems. For definitions of experience and acceptable training, please refer to the Candidate Information Handbook for NABCEP Solar PV Installer Certification.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Eaton

Executive Director

The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners

(NABCEP)

10 Hermes Road, Suite 400

Malta, NY  12020

Tele. (518) 899-8186