[RE-wrenches] Front Loader Washing Machines and Modified square wave inverters

Michael Welch michael.welch at re-wrenches.org
Thu Sep 4 16:01:39 PDT 2008

Hi again Dana & Wrenches. I heard back from the fellow, along with an updated document about running FP washers on inverters. Hope there's some useful info here.
______

Hi Michael,
Good to hear from you.  The attachment was still essentially correct.  I have had the Laundry electronics control guru look at this and he has made few minor updates.
I was quizzing him up as to why he had only ± 5% tolerance on the frequency - considering the system rectifies the mains into DC then chops it up again for the motor - and the electronics for the 50Hz 230 V version is essentially the same but without the voltage doubling.  He points out that some of the washer range (still) has pumps with shaded pole motors and that on a 50 Hz supply the 60 Hz pumps draw too much current.  I.e. the induction is insufficient to limit the current that far from the pump motor's design frequency.

I have copied this to Scott Davies.  (714.421.8574) He is in our Huntington Beach (Orange County) office.  He looks after sales and marketing for North America.

Best regards

Lindsey Roke

Technical Expert / Environmental Engineer
Fisher & Paykel Appliances Ltd
PO Box 58 732 Greenmount
Manukau 2141
New Zealand