[RE-wrenches] battery question

mick abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Thu Sep 4 07:18:27 PDT 2008

Jay Peltz wrote about the "problem child" battery which had been tapped at 12
volts.

Dana Orzel replied about using "a 24/12 volt converter and use the whole bank
to provide the power supply for the 12 VDC load."

Mick says: I agree that the Voltmaster or other 12/24 converter should be
connected in series between the 24 volt battery and the load as an in line
voltage down converter. This means the converter must be sized big enough for
the maximum power throughput.

Some of the 12/24 converter manufacturers show connecting their gizmo across
three nodes of the battery string, as a way to allow temporary surge loads on
the 12 volt side. Don't go there, because the voltage imbalance from the upper
half to the lower half is still too great. I once measured this "delta-v" far
in excess of the published spec from one famous converter. Dana is correct
that the converter should go in series with the 12 volt load.

Jay: Yesterday, I responded to your off list request for info about the cell
voltage datalogger. I also mentioned the 24/7 battery string balancer which I
distribute. Contact me off list if you'd like to try that item for 30 days.
It's going to take a lot to make this battery string behave anything like
equally matched horses.

Applying a 12 volt charger to the depleted half would be an appropriate first
step to take, as mentioned by others.

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com
Voice: 970-731-4675