[RE-wrenches] Followup to Surrette Battery Question

mick abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Tue Sep 2 15:08:32 PDT 2008

Allen Sindelar was polling for information/opinions about deionized water
versus distilled for lead battery top-up. Since "genuine steam distilled" H2O
can be bought for $0.69 per gallon, why take chances on anything else? There
are enough other possible problems without creating more for ourselves.

On the subject of battery health, equalization issues, etc:

I just got a batch of customized monitors which can capture the voltage on
each 2-volt cell at the same instant. There's also a datalogger option which
will record the snapshots over time. This should be a handy tool for us
"battery diagnosticians". For a 48 volt string, 25 electrical connections must
be made in order to read all the cells. The simultaneous capture means no more
worries about the "end to end voltage" moving while the tech is trying to
measure the cells.

Some end users may also want to add this to their high end battery systems.

Interested Wrenches may contact me off list and I'll send you a .pdf info
flyer plus pricing info.

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com
Voice: 970-731-4675