[RE-wrenches] battery reference gen start module

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 17:41:42 PDT 2008

I find the Outback FNDC has the ability to track the state of charge using net energy into the battery and net energy out.  Therefore one can use the SOC directly to start generator and charge batteries and not relay on battery voltage.  I have not used the Apollo for this purpose but believe it has the same capability.

AS you know it is difficult to determine the state of charge either way.  If you charge to fast the charge efficiency is lowered, if you are drawing energy the battery voltage is lowered.  To find state of charge using the battery voltaqe requires you to know the resting voltage, a two to 8 hr wait after battery usage.

What I try to do is to have the customer do due diligence, to take care of the batteries, but it rarely works.

Darryl